Del Monte Peach Kalakand
Preparation Time: 45 minutes, plus refrigeration
- 1cup, Del Monte Peach Halves, chopped
- 200 gms, Khoya/ Mawa
- 2 litres plus 2 cups, Milk
- 2 tablespoons, Vinegar
- ¼ cup Sugar, you may increase or decrease as per need
- A pinch of saffron
- A drop of Rose Essence
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- ¼ cup, syrup from the Peach can
- Few saffron strands and slivered pistachios for garnish
- In a pan, add peaches, 1/4 cup of sugar, syrup, saffron, mix and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add rose essence and mix. It should reach thick chunky jam consistency.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat milk on a medium flame. Stir occasionally to avoid burning. Once milk starts boiling, reduce the heat to low. Gradually add vinegar and stir, milk will start curdling. Once milk is curdled, take it off the stove and immediately add ice cubes. Leave it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Line the strainer with muslin or cheese cloth. Strain the curdled milk and squeeze the cloth to drain excess water. Wash it under cold running water to remove the traces of vinegar. This is called chenna.
- Mix khoya, chenna, 2 cups of milk and place it in heavy bottom pan, heat the khoya mixture on low flame. Stir continuously to avoid burning.
- Add sugar (as per preference) if needed, and cook on low flame stirring continuously till mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan and forms a dough. Take it off the stove, add peach mixture, cardamom powder, place in greased plate or tray, cool and refrigerate. Cut them in squares or diamond shape and garnish with saffron strands, slivered pistachios.
Refrigerate in fridge and consume within 3 days