A healthy wholesome lentil and vegetable dish and an excellent selection for people who are diabetic.
Medium bottle gourd (laucki, ghiya, doodhi) – 1 no.
Yellow split gram (chana dal) – 1/2 cup
Oil – 2 tablespoon
Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida (hing) – A pinch
Whole red chilies – 2
Shredded ginger (adrak) – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder (haldi) – 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala (optional) – 1/2 teaspoon
Mango powder (amchoor) – 1 teaspoon
Chopped cilantro (hara dhania) – 2 tablespoon
1 cup of water adjust as needed
- Nicely wash and soak channa dal for about an hour.
- Peel and cut bottle gourd into half inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When it starts cracking, add asafetida and whole red chilies and stir for some time.
- Add ginger, turmeric, and chili powder and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the channa dal, bottle gourd, salt, and one cup of water (adjust water as per your need and consistence that you need).
- Let the channa dal cook for about 15 mins, till it turns soft. Turn off the heat and add the mango powder, garam masala, and cilantro. Stir and cover the pan for a few minutes before serving.
Can be served with chapatti, paranthas or rice.